May 17, 2010

spring fava bean spread


I started making this spread two spring seasons ago when nearly every stand at every bay area farmer's market was overflowing with these strange (to me) large green bean pods.  I don't know if I had ever eaten a fava bean before then and if I had, I didn't know it.  I often am in the habit of buying an ingredient (usually at a farmer's market) and then figuring out what to do with it.  there is something really fun about this process - like Jeopardy, when you know the answer and have to ask the question.  my brain loves things like this.  Sadly, I don't remember the origin of this recipe, but I have modified and adapted it many times since then.  I give thanks to the food blog universe for getting this into my brain so I can make it from there without any help.




As much as I'm enamored with these little green beauties, it must be said that they are a pain in the @**.  You have to shell them twice before eating unless they are small and young when the second shelling is optional.  Each time takes a bit of effort, but really once you get going or if you can grab someone to do it with you, you'll be done in no time at all.  You first extract the beans from the outer, thick shell.  I love opening up these pods - the beans are nestled in there with this lovely soft padding like material all around it.  I told my friend Janna that I would gladly be reincarnated as a fava bean.  I love the color and hello - you get to hang out in nature's sleeping bag!  After a quick dip in boiling water, the inner shell will slip off rather easily and they'll be ready to use.

 
This recipe is loose and meant to be modified at any number of points to suit your taste buds.  The finished product often has a hummus-like texture and is really a delicious taste of spring.


basic fava bean spread recipe
approximately 1 cup of shelled fava beans
1-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or pecorino
2 to 4 Tbsp. of olive oil - add until desired consistency is achieved 
fresh herb of choice - mint is standard, but basil is also a great choice
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

prepare the beans as described here.  basically, remove the beans from the thick outer shell.  toss them in salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes.  drain and plunge in ice water.  once cool enough to handle, slip off the outer shells.

combine the shelled beans with all ingredients except the oil in a food processor or blender.  pulse to begin bringing together.  gradually add the olive oil, one tablespoon at a time until you are satisfied with the consistency.  I like mine to be a little on the thick side - like a slightly chunky hummus.

this is great with any type of fresh bread or crackers.  I especially enjoy it on crostini with or without a little goat cheese or other soft, mild cheese as well.  

3 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic recipe. I grew up with fava beans but this is a whole new take!
    Thanks much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome!

    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fava beans and leaves! They are beautiful in the garden, and yummy on the table. Prettier looking than hummus, too.

    ReplyDelete