November 2, 2009

Chilaquiles!



Growing up in Colorado, I really love authentic Mexican cuisine.  Living now in the Bay Area, I also love imported Mexican or even Tex-Mex meals.  I never knew there was such a thing as a "San Francisco-style burrito" but apparently there is.  Of course, I have a couple of my favorite taquerias that I frequent.  One is even programmed into my phone for orders on the go.

Another thing I love is savory breakfast dishes.  Every once in a while I will really want something drizzled with maple syrup, but more often than not I want something savory.  Chilaquiles certainly fits the bill.  The Wiki page is pretty good on this dish, noting that this recipe is a great way to use up stale tortillas or leftover salsas.





Prep for this recipe couldn't be easier - cut up and fry the tortillas, put them back in the pan with the salsa and then top them with fixings of your choice.  That's it.  Obviously, you could make the prep work lengthy depending on toppings and making your salsa, but so much could be done beforehand that this would be an easy brunch dish to serve to guests.

My toppings of choice were diced red onion, crumbled queso fresco, salsa verde and sliced avocado.  The possibilities, however, are endless.  Served with a fried egg on the side was also an excellent choice.  Refried beans are also traditional and missed this time as I hadn't made any.



I based my dish on the recipe found on Simply Recipes which was simple to follow and includes good tips on making different salsas.  Next time, I am going to make this with green salsa as I've never had them that way and I love tomatillos!


1 comment:

  1. I learned about and tasted chilaquiles for the first time during a recent trip to Guadalajara, Mexico. Delicioso!
    Beautiful photo on your site!

    Mexico post:
    http://bit.ly/137HvO

    ReplyDelete